Self-guided Bike and family
France / Loire Valley
A fairy tale freewheel
- 1 Client reviews
Day by Day
2. Blois – Amboise (45 km)
We saddle up for the start of a magical ride that today takes us along the River Loire as far as Amboise. Steeped in history, the atmospheric market town is celebrated for its château and the Clos-Lucé manor, where Leonardo lived for three years (and died) and where some of his remarkable inventions are on display. The 19th-century turtle fountain (topped by a teddy bear figure), the Clock Tower and the 7-level Chinese Pagoda all add to the town’s interest.
3. Amboise – Chenoncheaux (35 km)
We start the day cycling through the magnificent Forest of Amboise and into fields of wheat and barley. Our destination is the Château de Chenonceau, its gardens fabulously landscaped against the meandering River Cher. What better way to enjoy today’s exploration through verdant landscapes than astride our two-wheeled steeds. Expect some ups and downs shortly before Chenoncheaux (it is always possible to return by train).
4. Amboise – Chitenay (45 km)
Fields of wheat and poppy meadows scattered with centennial oaks: welcome to the fertile farmlands of Touraine. The scenery is dotted with delightful hamlets such as Fougères and Vallières-les-Grandes, and towered by majestic castles – among them Fougères-sur-Biévre – all awaiting your discovery. The picturesque route takes us largely along quiet roads and the only challenging climb is a 1km stretch right at the start.
5. Chitenay – Blois (40 km)
An easy ride takes you from Chitenay to charming Cellettes, a commune bathed by the placid River Beuvron, for a visit to the Renaissance Château de Beauregard. After traversing the enchanting Forest of Roussy, we come to the Loire and the town of Blois, which welcomes you with its elegant bridge, monuments, works of art and narrow alleyways tangled around its castle.
6. Blois – Chambord (45 km)
Today’s stage leads us to one of the most famous and majestic of all Loire castles: Chambord. Leaving the hotel, we head for Saint-Dyé-sur-Loire, an ancient hamlet perched on the river. From here we continue southwards into the heart of the countryside until we reach the castle’s surrounding forest.
After breakfast, end of tour.
Due to organisational reasons, weather conditions or provisions issued by local authorities, the itinerary may be subject to some changes before and/or during the holiday.
Along the way you may find temporary deviations (for example road works) which cannot be foreseen; in this case each rider can decide autonomously how to deal with these stretches.
- Total length: 210 km
- Total vertical up: 520 m
- Terrain: 90% asphalt, 10% unpaved
- Train connection among the overnight stays: day 2
- Possibility to shorten the itinerary by taking the train: day 2 and 3
Routes are devised with the younger travellers in mind and are predominantly on cycleways and quiet roads.
Easy cycling in mostly flat areas, little effort required, suitable for most people.
How to get there
Blois is connected with the following airports:
Tours: 60 km, Paris: 140 km.
For further information on train timetables and prices you can consult the following website: www.sncf.com.
Accommodation and meals
We personally choose all the hotels mindful of your comfort as well as the proximity to cycling paths and any relevant local sites. The hotels of this tour are:
Category A: 3/4* hotels with swimming pool
Category B: 3* hotels (with swimming pool in Amboise and Chitenay)
All rooms have en suite facilities.
When you book the tour please specify the type of room requested:
- double room is a room with one double bed
- twin room is a room with two single beds
- triple room is usually a room with one double bed and a single bed or a rollaway
- a family room could be converted into two double/twin rooms next to each other, according to availability
Bikes and accessories
Girolibero’s City bikes are available in various sizes in unisex/women’s or men’s models.
- 27-gears Shimano Deore
- aluminium frame
- rear rack
- comfort gel saddle
- anti-puncture Schwalbe tyres
- ergonomic bicycle grips
- Speed Lifter system
You can also rent helmets for adults as well as children’s bikes and devices:
- Child seat: it is suitable for a maximum payload of 22 kg (0-4 yrs).
- Child trailer: with one seat and suitable for children who cannot ride a bike (0-4 yrs). The child trailer is designed for a maximum payload of 30 kg. More info on www.croozer.com.
- Follow-me tandem: a clever latch system enables the child's bike to lock firmly onto the tail of the adult bike as and when necessary (4-7 yrs). Adjustable only for the kids bike wheels size 20". The maximum weight of the child can be 27 kg. More info on www.followmetandem.co.uk
- Child bikes: bike frames with 20” and 24” wheels
- Family tandem: this is an innovative solution for cycling with more than one child (aged 3-10). More info on: www.onderwaterfiets.nl
- 1 cycle computer
- 1 Ortlieb one-sided saddlebag
- 1 front bar bag or 1 map holder
- 1 water bottle (0.75 l)
- 1 repair kit per room (which includes one spare inner tube, glue, patch and a pump)
- 1 combination bike lock
At the moment of booking you can also rent helmets suitable for head circumferences from 54 to 61. All our helmets have a certification mark according to the DIN EN 1078 (CE) European norm.
The Information Pack (one per room) includes:
- roadbook describing the cycling route stage by stage
- bike maps
- information on the cities, towns and villages of the tour
- final hotel list: due to overbooking or organisational needs your hotel list may be changed just before your arrival
- luggage labels to be fixed at each piece of baggage, which has to be carried
- hotel vouchers to be given to the reception of each hotel on your arrival.
By your side
In Blois you will meet our representative who:
- will present you the tour
- will deliver you the bikes
- will be at your disposal (about 30 minutes) for any questions you may have.
The exact time and place of the meeting will be specified in the Final Tour Details. We kindly ask you to advise if you cannot attend the meeting.
For the whole duration of your bike tour, you can contact us:
- office +39 0444 330724 from Monday to Friday 8:30-13:00 and 15:00-18:30
- emergency phone number every day 8:00-20:00. The number will be specified in the Final Tour Details.
Michael, Mia and Sammy, Usa
Vacanza del 2016
pubblicazione 13 July 2016We had a wonderful trip, thank you so much for your help arranging this, and answering all of our questions quickly. It was a perfect itinerary for us and Leonardo was so helpful and responsive, making sure the bikes were right for us and that we were ready to go. We absolutely loved the routes that were mapped out and it was really a beautiful trip, exactly as described. There was much to see and the length of the rides, and timings of sights, were really perfect for us. And the hotels in Blois and Chitenay were really wonderful, we give them very high marks for comfort, service, friendliness, everything! (Our Amboise hotel was comfortable and family friendly as well, but just further out from town - making it a little tougher to get there, go out for dinner, etc.)